Just stumbled on this the other day when trying to figure out how to password protect directories with FrontPage. Thought I'd share
To use FrontPage to password protect a directory:
1. From within FrontPage, log in to your Web server.
2. Create the directory or go to the directory you want to password protect.
3. Right-click the directory and select Convert to Web. Click Yes when prompted to confirm.
4. With the "sub web" selected, on the Tools menu select Server > Administration Homes. A new page will pop up in the browser. Type in the cPanel login info.
5. Proceed with creating users/password.
should work on most web hosts. I've only tried it on Doteasy tho