Author Topic: Name servers  (Read 23535 times)

Offline Ghados

Name servers
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »
I'm transferring my domain to Doteasy & I was given the following:

DNS1.doteasy.com
DNS2.doteasy.com

What are these name servers for?

DotEasyTechK

Re: Name servers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »
The name servers are needed in order to point your domain to your Doteasy hosting services.

If you are transfering your domain to Doteasy & would like to use your hosting services before the domain transfer is complete, you can simply contact your current domain registrar & have them change the name servers for your domain to the Doteasy name servers you have been provided.

Once the name servers have been changed, simply allow up to one day for the changes to take affect & after that time, your Doteasy hosting services will be fully functional

Offline onion

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:40:50 PM »
why does it take up to a day for the changes to take effect?

Offline jack_olero

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
why does it take up to a day for the changes to take effect?

internet propagation

Offline Hilarium

• Hosting Package: unlimited
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
i want to know whats the difference between cname, A records, and DNS are?

Offline skittles

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
i believe the top level is DNS name servers then whoever has control of the DNS name servers has control over the DNS zone file (A/CNAME/MX)....generally....changing the DNS zone file just changes where the specific components are pointing to (email, website, etc...)

Offline Drake

• Hosting Package: Unlimited
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 12:48:52 AM »
Changing your DNS changes where your services are hosted from and is a top level change.  There are many components within the DNS Zone file that allow you to specifically modify where this information goes individually.  These are the A, CNAME, MX Records respectively. 

The A record lets your DNS know what Server IP you are trying to pull your site from.

CNAME records are for setting up the server to instead point to a website address such as www.domain.com instead of a server IP and this is referred to as the Common Name.

MX record is for your Email services and tells where to try to access your mail server from.

Whether you modify the DNS or one of the other attributes really comes down to what you want to be pointing where.

Offline webnewbie

• Hosting Package: Basic
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:02:41 AM »
you can change the DNS records in member zone. theres a link called 'DNS Panel. you can get the doteasy techs to change those records for you too. they helped me do it the first time since i wasnt sure how.

Offline ((KING))

• Hosting Package: Ultra
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 01:12:05 AM »
That DNS panel can handle TXT records now too. In the past, we could not enter those in ourselves. Had to ask Doteasy to put in the records for us. Now it is much more convenient.

Offline klarakos

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »
This is very usefully for me!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:20:02 AM by klarakos »